Having My Ice Dams Removed
Who can I call to have my ice dams removed? This might be a question you are asking yourself when looking for roof ice removal services. Luckily for you- there is a lot of companies out there like Ice Dams Removed that offer rooftop ice and gutter ice steaming services. To find these companies the “keyword” you need to focus on when searching for an ice dam removal service is STEAM. Though, once you find a company that claims to be using the proper ice steaming equipment a little more homework is required on your part to ensure that you get what you pay for.
Call 1-(833)-ROOF-ICE To Have Your Ice Dams Removed With Steam
There are many of us that use the proper steam equipment that will not harm your roof’s integrity, costing you money for roof repairs or roof replacement because of improper ice dam removal methods. No matter how long an “ice dam removal company” has been in business they still might be using gas powered, high pressure, high temp pressure washers. Yes, these companies are out there and yes, I’m sure they have been in business for a long time with a list of happy customers that don’t realize that they themselves have damaged roofs due to this improper ice dam removal method. These high pressure, high temp washers might appear to produce steam but it is our opinion that they can easily cause damage to your roof and gutters. Or they might be planning on removing your ice dams with the hammer & chisel method. This method of having your ice dams removed is like the high-pressure washer method because it has great potential for causing damage to your home. They may be having you sign damage waivers before they start the roof ice removal project- This liability waiver might in small or big print state that they are not liable for any ice dam removal damages they cause and that you agree to it.
Ice Dam Removal Scams
You think you found the company you would like to use to remove the ice and snow from your roof. You call them up and they answer. Yes! It’s perfectly normal to be excited at this point in time. If you’ve got ice dam problems than so do your neighbors. Many of these companies are not prepared for the number of calls that could be coming their way. That means that roof ice removal companies in your area are very likely swamped with calls and job requests so getting someone on the phone for rooftop ice removal might mean you should go buy a lottery ticket! This could be your lucky day. Now on to the- Ice Dam Scams.
Ice Dam Scam Scenario 1.) The ice removal company you called claims to be using the proper low-pressure ice steaming equipment. It says steam all over there website and they tell you its steam on the phone. When their hot, high pressure, atomized water comes out of the gun it even looks like steam because its atomized by a tip at the end of the steam gun and there is a drastic enough change in temperature to make it look like steam. So, they come to your house, set up the ladders and head up onto your roof. The snow starts to fly as the technician on your roof shovels the snow off. Meanwhile, the technician on the ground is setting up his “ice dam steaming equipment”. A few questions you should ask while you have the company on the phone or before the ice dam removal begins are.-
- ” What is the pressure of your steam?” We believe the answer should be- 180-200 psi. Actual ice dam steaming equipment does not require a gasoline engine to run the water pump. Gasoline run equipment can operate at dangerously high pressures and the water is pushed through the burner tubes to rapidly to create actual steam for an extended period of time. Thus producing a damaging mix of hot water and high pressure with intervals of steam. Even if you could produce steam with modified gas powered equipment it would be temporary steam that would only last for a very short time until the fast moving water cooled the burner coil down.
- “How hot does your ice dam steamer get while having my ice dams removed?” We believe the answer should be -steadily and continually over 300 degrees.
- “Does your ice steamer gun or wand have a trigger?” We believe the answer should be- No. It is continuously on, allowing steam to flow and our burner to keep working.
- “Are you willing to bring out a piece of roof shingle to demonstrate your ice steamers capability of not damaging my roof?“- We believe the answer should absolutely be- YES!
All of these questions should be easily answered by the technician in this way. Our ice dam steamer is not gas powered. We use electricity to run our ice steamer pump. Our ice dam steaming equipment operates at a safe 180-200 psi. Our steam temps can easily reach a steady 300 degrees while being continuously run with no trigger on the gun. Our steam temps get to high to stop the flow of steam with a trigger on the gun. If we did this all of our steam hoses would melt and could cause damage to our machine.
Ice Dam Scam Scenario 2.) You schedule a company to have your ice dams removed. They call you an hour before your appointment and explain that their ice steaming equipment has broken down and they give you two options.-
- “We can send one of our ice dam guys over to remove the snow from your roof and chisel or hammer water flow channels in your roofs ice dam.” Do not allow them to do this! We have been on several roofs that have been damaged due to improper ice dam removal methods. Accidents happen and when you’re swinging a hammer or stabbing a chisel at or through rooftop ice it is nearly impossible to judge how deep you will go. Shingles and gutters that are damaged while having your ice dams removed by this company will more than likely go unreported to the property owner and will not be covered by any type of ice dam insurance claim that you have to make.
- “We can send one of our ice dam guys over to remove the snow from your roof and melt the ice off of your roof with a torch or even chemicals.” Do not allow them to do this! These Methods are not only can cause damages to your home, they are also very time-consuming. Chemicals on your roof can cause a great deal of damage to your home possible causing metal flashing around chimneys, gutters, windows, and doors to rust shortly after having your ice dams removed.
Call 1-(833)-ROOF-ICE For Steam Roof Ice Removal
Ice Dams Removed Is Here To Help
Be careful who you hire when having your ice dams removed. No matter how often you see a company on the news, on the internet or how good their online reviews are. Some and many of these companies are lying to you, lying to the media and possibly damaging roofs nationwide. You may be asked to sign a piece of paper that gives these so-called ice dam removal companies the freedom to damage your roof and gutters in order to remove the ice and snow. The biggest trick to having your ice dams removed safely is figuring out whether they are using the proper ice dam steaming equipment. Pictures on their websites might make it look like they have the right equipment but you should always double check when they get to your home to remove your roofs ice.
With a little education and articles like this one, our hope is that you can become more aware and prepared to identify low-pressure ice dam removal companies when hiring to have your ice dams removed. Don’t lose hope there are plenty of companies like ours that offer safe and efficient steam ice dam removal.